Dollhouse Blogs

Sunday 21 December 2014

Countess's Bedroom re-visited and Happy holidays!

Hello everyone,
I hope you are all doing well and ready for the holidays. I must apologize for not commenting on your blogs as of late. Since we got back from our vacation we have been running around for real life bathroom renovations and the holidays...I start my Christmas break this week and will get back to commenting very soon. I've missed it.
 
In spite of the hectic schedule I did steel an hour here or there to do a little work on the Manor. Today I present to you the updated Countess's bedroom:

 

I was never completely happy with this room. I thought the main problem was the fireplace and over mantel. I did not like the grey marble against the wallpaper, and the over mantel I made was nice but I felt it too bulky in contrast to the other elements I had in the room.  I was looking at a bo0ok on Marble house and while looking at the dining room I new what I wanted. Before I begin, here are some before and after pictures of the changes I made:

The room before
 
Not happy with the fireplace

a little fancier

Not happy with the wall around the bed

a bed fit for a countess

As you can see, and I'm sure it does not come as a surprise, the "change the fireplace" turned into a small renovation of the whole room. Well, let's start at the beginning...
 
TheFireplace
As I mentioned I was not happy with the fireplace wall. I loved the shape of the rococo mantel so I ordered an identical one, but as I was browsing I found an over mantel that matched it perfectly. I purchased it and decided to finish it to look like Numidian Rose Marble
 

 
It is a very intense pink colored marble and I love it. Originally I just wanted to highlight a few details in gold, but after looking at those pictures of Marble house I decided to add more gold to make the room more opulent and I think it works with the style of the mantel and over mantel. Here is a comparison shot of the before and after
 

I think the new one has a much grandeur and more feminine feel to it. When I was test fitting it I noticed the wallpaper between the new pieces was ripped when I pulled off the old. My solution was to make a big piece of "marble" and glue the mantel and over mantel over it.



This was just a piece of illustration board with doorframe molding on it. I liked the effect and glued it in

Originally the applique's over the window dressing were white with gold detail, but when the new fireplace went in I thought they would look better all in gold. The oval frame over the mirror is a gold broach my mother gave me to use in the Manor.

Just a note on the mantel, over mantel and applique's. If you use Sue Cook or Jim Coates castings you get perfect, smooth miniatures. These are from Unique Miniatures. They are rough, need sanding, filling and I also had to heat them with a hair dryer to soften them up and strengthen them. They are beautiful but there is a lot of prep work involved with Unique miniatures, but I think you can get good results if you take the proper time to clean them up.

The Bed Nook

I was really happy with the fireplace wall so I turned my attention to the bed. I tried putting up artwork, curtains...nothing really impressed me. While I worked on the fireplace I had an idea: Why not surround the bed in marble as well.


In the picture above you can see I took illustration board, cut to the height of the room and drew on the position of the bed. Here is a shot of the back


I could have just left it flat, but this gave me the opportunity to create a cavity for sconce wires. I then turned it over and placed the architectural elements I had to create a design I liked


The wonderful corbels are from Jim Coates and the little angel applique at the top was on my original over mantel for this room. I painted the architectural element with gold paint and marbleized the rest. I was lucky enough to find a site that analysed the colors of marble. To create the Pink Numidian marble I used a coat of  Coral Blush, then a coat of Antique Mauve, and finally French Mauve, all from Americana Paints. I applied them using different sea sponges and I used an old brush to create the veins.


Someone commented that my marble had very long veins and not many secondary or tertiary veins. I agree! I've noticed the more veins I add the less I like the look of my marble and it feels less real. Also, in real life, I tend to like pieces of marble with very little veining.


In the picture above you can see what it looked like. I was ready to glue it in but figured this was the perfect time to make sure it was going in the best spot. I tried it on the back wall


I liked that the bed was more private and by the window, but I thought it was too much pink and red on one side of the room so put it back where it originally went


The sconces match the chandelier I have for the room and I think they look perfect. While the marble piece was good, I felt the top of the bed was missing a canopy. I got some Styrofoam balls and cut a quarter piece of it. I then chose a fabric that worked with the bedding and cut it into triangles.


I covered the quarter ball with the Ultimate Glue and placed the fabric on. Wherever the triangle pieces met I glued on some gold twisted cord I had and then topped it with a small jewelry piece.


In the next picture you can see the back is unfinished and the braid is glued under the canopy. If you can't see it, it's good enough.


Wall Panels
 

Everything was coming together, but the walls still bothered me. I know many homes have chair rails to protect the walls, but in my mind a chair rail should separate 2 different wall colors or finishes. So, I taped of the chair rails and baseboards and painted the wallpaper in between them white. It took 5 coats of paint but was well worth it. Then I taped off the chair rail and painted it with gold paint
 

I also added appliques over the doors. Again I originally painted them white with a little gold detail, which took forever, just to realize they were better all gold. to fill the white wall under the chair rail I purchased Unique Miniatures wall appliques. I'll repeat myself, I painted them white and detailed them in gold, just to realize they were better all gold...my patience!!! They looked a bit lost on the white wall so I took a thin cardboard ( the back of a workbook) and marbleized it to match the room.


I glued them into place and finally, I was happy with the room.


 
It has that grand feeling I was looking for but still does not look too vulgar. I think the Countess will be pleased.
 
 
I had another copy of the painting in the original over mantel which was perfect in the room, so I framed it and glued it over the desk. I actually think it looks better
 
 
And that is another room done. There is no better feeling then finishing a room which was just not right.
 
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Merry Christmas everyone. The staff is busy getting the ballroom ready for the party
 
 I won't be posting until after the holidays, so I just want to wish everyone all the best for a wonderful holiday season. I thank each and every one of you for all your kindness and friendliness. I truly do have the best followers ever. Many Hugs to you and your loved ones, and here's to a wonderful, peaceful 2015

As I mentioned I will be on holiday as of Wednesday and have many mini projects ligned up...I won't say just what, but here are a few clues...

There is one room...just one...that I never liked at all in the manor

Thank you all my dear friend. I'll see you in 2015. I have to run now, Ozzy is in the window again waiting for Santa


 
 Huge hugs to all,
Giac

 

63 comments:

  1. All wonderful ..!!!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year ..!!
    Mini Hugs ..!!!
    elvira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Giac! You have been busy and Inspired! The new look for the Countess's bedroom is truly Regal! I think it is the stronger contrast between the parts that adds to this feeling. It looks just Magnificent! And as usual, I could not have imagined that there was any Need for an upgrade.... but now I agree whole-heartedly that it was the right thing to do! Bravo!
    I hope you have a Wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year! Enjoy your vacation (I have one as well...!) and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The room was wonderful, now it's fantastic!
    Have a nice Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your make over looks great Giac, I am sure the countess is over the moon with the results! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi buddy
    Sorry I missed your last post, I just caught up.
    I love what you've done in the Countess's bedroom, it really adds more weight and "realness".
    Hop you and Joe are doing well and looking forward to the holidays.
    Best wishes
    Si x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Giac!
    The Countess's bedroom is wonderful now, I am sure she will be so Happy with what you have done!
    The ballroom is sure to be very fine for the Christmas party!
    And: can't wait to see your next project! :)
    I wish you and your Family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    Big Hugs
    Kikka

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning. A bedroom fit for ME. I LOVE it.
    You are amazingly creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I probably would never think about such colour. But yes it looks so good in this elegant room. :)
    Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all of you out there. :)
    Big hug
    Ewa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Giac! long time no hear from you and your work, always so exquisite, purist and stunning. I like how you transform the details of each stay, but the floors are amazing.
    Merry christmas!
    A big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great changes Giac! I'm still in awe of the bedspread. I love that half dome over the top of the bed, now it's there you realise how it was missing something. I agree about the placement of the bed too, although a window view would have been lovely.Though I can imagine the footmen outside getting an eyeful :D Happy Christmas to you and your partner, and enjoy your vacation x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Giac,
    I always love to read your posts, watch pictures which are such wonderful!
    This room is stunning, I see big progress. The fireplace is very pretty. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Ozzy is adorable :-)
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Giac
    Amazing as usual!! I just love the new and improved room... I would never have thought of pink marble, but my, oh my, it looks superb.
    Again, your posts are a joy to read. I hope you and Joe have a wonderful Christmas and Happy 2015.
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  13. El cambio de imagen de la habitación es muy bueno. Ha quedado alegre y elegante.
    Que pases unas felices fiestas y disfrutes mucho de la vacaciones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Giac!
    So great to see you! This almost looks like a different room! I love the way you always find a way to improve upon perfect. lol.
    The bed placement is a good idea so she would get direct heat from the fireplace (no heat registers back then lol) I hope you don't mind if I steal oops borrow your idea for the canopy in some way. I would have never thought of that!
    Would you mind sharing the marble analyzing site?

    I was hoping you would keep the picture yay!

    Wishing you the very best of the Holiday season for you , Jo, Ozzy and the rest of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually like grey marble...but I agree in this room it doesn't work. The pink is not to my taste, but it does bring the whole room together. Milady will be pleased ;-)
    Merry Christmas Giac!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Un trabajo fantástico, están en armonía el cabezal de la cama con la chimenea, feliz navidad:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Giac, again great changes, I love the pink, it really works and looks chique! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and Jo and Ozzy (I hope Santa brings him many tasty bones to chew on :-) ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. A pesar de haber tenido la agenda apretada te ha dado tiempo de hacer minis maravillosas, Gracias por estar ahí.
    FELIZ NAVIDAD
    Un abrazo
    Maite

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do hope your vacation was wonderful and inspired you for creation! Your work as always is exquisite and beautiful, the fireplace looks so grand!

    Happy and healthy holidays to you and yours, see you in the new year!
    Hugs~J

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well It is different indeed . Its funny how a small change can take you in a whole other direction . fascinating !!!


    Have a Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year Giac


    Mario.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Merry Christmas Giac, Jo and Ozzy, enjoy the holidays and I'll catch up with reading all this very long post during my Christmas break.
    Warmest Hugs,
    X
    P.S. Coco sends a BIG WOOF to Ozzy too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful work as always, Giac! Thanks for all the inspiration and teaching. A very Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bonjour Giac!
    Je n'aurai pas osé le rose mais je dois avouer que le résultat est très plaisant et lumineux!! La chambre a subi une vraie cure de rajeunissement !!
    Bonnes vacances et un "TRES JOYEUX NOEL" à vous et à toute votre famille!!!
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Giac! It is so beautiful! Thanks for you showing so many tip. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy start of 2015.
    Big hug
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  25. Has creado un ambiente nuevo en la habitación de la condesa,más luminoso y acogedor,todo resulta lujoso y a la vez entrañable,gran trabajo!!!!
    Espero que paséis una feliz navidad toda tu familia,que Santa sea generoso con todos,especialmente con Ozzy que le espera tan ansioso!!!
    Nos leemos en el nuevo año!!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Giac! I've enjoyed to see all these pictures, as usual: I always learn a lot of the things you do in your dollhouse, so thank you. I love the changes you've done in the Countess's bedroom, the room is absolutely beautiful at the end! Although I'm not a fan of the color 'pink' for the marble, it looks well chosen for this room, great work!
    I wish you, Joe and your family a Merry Christmas and my very best wishes for 2015!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  27. De l'or, du marbre rose, comme cela fait plaisir à voir dans la grisaille quotidienne. L'idée de faire un pendant à la cheminée en marbre pour le lit est géniale. Tout est fait avec soin, j'adore vos marbrures plus délicates. Bonne fêtes à vous Giac et à toute la petite famille.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulazioni!!! E' un lavoro fantastico Giac!
    Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely Fabulous!!

    Christmas Hugs and Cheers,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amazing change! You did a marvellous job and I must admit I prefer The way the bedroom is now.
    Merry christmas to you and yours!
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely as always
    Merry christmas Giac
    Hugs
    AnnaMaria

    ReplyDelete
  32. A very elegant bedroom!. Best wishes to you and your family have a Merry Christmas.
    hugs, Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  33. En este mes tan hermoso te deseo mucho amor
    Y abundante paz muy dentro de tu corazón.
    Un abrazo cálido !!!
    De Tu amiga
    ★∵☆.◢◣    ◢◣ . ☆∵★
       ◢■■◣  ◢■■◣
      ◢■■■■■■■■■◣
      ◥■■■■■■■■■◤
       ◥■■■■■■■◤ 
        ◥■■■■■◤
         ◥■■■◤    
          ◥■◤
           ▼VICTORIA
             \  
              \
               \
                \
                 \
                  \       
                   \ ●
                    /i\
                    /\

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous remodel, Giac! I love that you're taking things to the next level in several rooms. They were already gorgeous, but now you're looking at them again and saying, this isn't quite right, let's fix it. Beautiful, beautiful work! Love the photo of Ozzy waiting for Santa--too cute! <3 Merry Christmas and happy new year, Giac! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow this room is stunning. It was gorgeous before but I can see that your changes have made this room breathtaking. I love your work. Wishing you and your family a Fantastic Christmas and a Wonderful New Year.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  36. Querido Giac, como siempre tus reformas son asombrosas, tanto la chimenea como el cabecero de cama han ganado muchísimo!! Yo también deseo que pases unas felices Navidades y que disfrutes un montón. Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  37. Giac, I like the addition of the extra colour, certainly has sparked up the room and made it more grand. I think you've perfectly acheived marble veining - the pink does look better than the grey; I think to keep the grey, you would've needed to add some more grey touches throughout the room to tie it together. Have a great Christmas break and hope you get some time for minis. My little Tilly dog says hello to your little Ozzy dog. He looks like he'd make a good friend for Tilly.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Giac, good to see a post from you! Well, you've certainly made a change there; I love me some rococo. it's frivolous gaiety makes everything else look lighter.
    That pink color is trés rococo and a very bold color to use, courageous of you!!
    Wishing you and Jo wonderful holidays and may the new year lying ahead bring you nothing but good things.
    Hugs,
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
  39. Te ha quedado fantástico Giac, mucho mas femenino y acogedor. Sin duda la condesa estará encantada con el nuevo cambio. Un trabajo extraordinario como todos los que haces.
    Un abrazo y te deseo unas muy Felices Fiestas!!
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  40. What an absolutely beautiful room! I can't imagine that the Countess will be anything but thrilled. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your marble looks so real! You are so talented and I love your step-by-step tutorials. Happy holidays and thanks so much for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello Giac, l am not getting your updates on my blog anymore, a blogger mystery to me. So glad l found you now. Just wanted to wish you a merry Christmas. Pam in Norway :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Maravillosa tu reforma. Has creado un ambiente lujoso y femenino muy propio para una condesa. Ella debe estar muy feliz
    Me ha encantado como te ha quedado el mármol. El efecto es fantástico.
    Felicidades por tan buen trabajo.
    Y felices fiestas. Te deseo lo mejor.
    Un abrazo y disfruta de las vacaciones.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Giac yes I have missed your comments, glad you are back and with wow so much nice mini's that bed surrounding adorable and that floor so beautiful!!!
    groetjes van Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  45. Welcome back Giac! I really like the changes to the room. Definitely not subtle! But they somehow seem to 'settle' the room. I think they relieve the wallpaper pattern, even in the bright raspberry shade, and in the process they make the room less busy! Amazing what color will do, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  46. You have made an amazing room look even more spectacular, congratulations Giac and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Maravillosas reformas, es una habitación espléndida.
    Espero que disfrutes mucho de las navidades en compañia de tus seres queridos.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Tus trabajos siempre me dejan sin palabras, maravilloso!! Te deseo una Feliz Navidad y mis mejores deseos para el año 2015!! Un abrazo. Arantza.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Un lavoro che incanta come sempre...Buone vacanze caro Giac
    Un abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
  50. SUPERB! I love the changes and the bedroom is most certainly MORE OPULENT and now fit for a Countess! The half canopy over the bed is Perfect and I like the changes to the fireplace too. It looks more visually balanced now and carries the theme from your other magnificent rooms, right into the bedroom. :))
    Have a Wonderful Christmas my friend, and a Marvelous 2015, to you and yours!
    Mini Big Hugs! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow, I have to say it's a bit much for me, the colour and the gold, but I do agree it agrees with the room, it does fit somehow. I also think the marble surround for the bed really adds grandure, very well and nicely done. And the canopy is what the bed needed, without it even knowing ;) The bed in the place you have it again (but I think it's always good to check new places just to know if that might be better) is what balances the room best, colour- and furniturewise. Again a job well done and a bit closer to the finishline. Or would a house never be really finished, just as a RL house never is? :D Anyway, you know what I mean, and I'm very curious about what you have in store next! Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  52. And I wish you a very nice Christmas with your loved ones and a wonderful 2015 of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Feliz año 2015, Giac
    Magníficos trabajos, como siempre
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi Giac! It's amazing how a little change here and there can result in an almost full room renovation! I thought the room looked good before but the changes have added so much more elegance to it. You make it sound so straightforward and easy! After all that work the Countess had better be pleased or she can redecorate it herself!!
    Have a great 2015 and I look forward to more renovations / alterations to the Manor in the future!
    Kind regards, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Como cada año, nuestro tren parara en alguna estación, depende de cada uno de nosotros dejar ir a la tristezas, miedos, frustraciones, malos momentos, desamor. Agradece a cada uno de ellos.. su compañía y sus enseñanzas, aunque hayan sido dolorosas, déjalos ir, déjalos bajar de este tren. Deseo que en esta parada, a tu tren suban miles de bendiciones, sueños alcanzables, amor, abundancia, fuerza y determinación para seguir tu viaje.
    Hoy en mi vagón quedaran puestos desocupados y espero te sientes a mi lado para compartir junt@s este nuevo viaje. FELIZ NUEVO COMIENZO EN ESTE AÑO 2015!!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Love the little pup in the window! The wall of molding and paneling around the bed is the perfect finishing touch. I can't believe you painted that marble finish! It looks so real! Hope you and your family had a very blessed holiday season! I can't wait to see what you will create in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Happy New Year Giac. I think my New Year's Resolution will have to be "reply to new blog posts as soon as you see them" otherwise THIS happens and I have to search back through loads.

    What a marvellous makeover you've given this room - almost a complete redecorate but it's been well worth it. The room was lovely to begin with but on seeing your changes, they've certainly brought the room to life. I especially like your styrofoam ball idea for the canopy (idea stored away for future use!) and I can't wait to see what you will be creating with the little bits you teased us with!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Awesome work, Giac, happy new year to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hello dear Giac
    Loved your inspiration to make details in pink. The room of the Countess was magnificent but now was fantastic, elegant, feminine and hot for the visit of Conde ;-)
    I wish all the best for you, Jo and dear Ozzy in this new year 2015
    Congratulations, you are a great artist. Thank you for sharing your art.
    Finally I had the surgery and I am recovering very well, that brought me great joy.
    A hug Fernanda. = D

    ReplyDelete
  60. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hello dear Giac,

    I am absolutely thrilled with your work, it´s fantastic, I love your detailed work!!!

    Big Hugs

    Uschi :-)

    ReplyDelete